Thursday, July 29, 2010

Same book, second look - The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan

Same book, Second look
The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan

What's this you ask?  The Same book, Second look is a chance for both of us to review the same book.  Both Curlypow and I are librarians but we have different opinions when it comes to certain titles.  To each, her own!  We want the ability to express our own opinions whether they are similar or differ.  Same book, Second look allows the second person to do an additional review of a book that has already been posted. 

It's my turn and I'm going to chat about Sarah Rees Brennan's - The Demon's Covenant

Published: May 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 448 (hardcover)
Copy provided by : Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Mae Crawford's always thought of herself as in control, but in the last few weeks her life has changed. Her younger brother, Jamie, suddenly has magical powers, and she's even more unsettled when she realizes that Gerald, the new leader of the Obsidian Circle, is trying to persuade Jamie to join the magicians. Even worse? Jamie hasn't told Mae a thing about any of it. Mae turns to brothers Nick and Alan to help her rescue Jamie, but they are in danger from Gerald themselves because he wants to steal Nick's powers. Will Mae be able to find a way to save everyone she cares about from the power-hungry magician's carefully laid trap?

I have spent some time on Twitter and have been exploring all things booky on the web.  Lucky for me, I have had some interaction with Ms. Rees Brennan (and what a lovely lady she is)!  Earlier this week I happened upon a chat with several Kiss Me Deadly authors (hosted by Coldwater High ezine).  Some of the authors present were - Becca Fitzpatrick, Sarah Rees Brennan, Richelle Mead and Michelle Zink.  If you haven't tried one of these before, I highly recommend you check it out.  What a great way to reach your fanbase.  Very cool to chat live with your favorite authors!

I finished reading the much anticipated sequel to The Demon's Lexicon last week and again, Ms. Rees Brennan managed to blow me away.  Where the first book did a good job of introducing the characters, this book gave them more depth and understanding.  The relationships between Nick, Alan, Mae and Jamie seemed to solidify and the reader can identify better with them.  I know that Curlypow is on the fence with Nick but I like him.  (Sarcastic good looking bad boys....mmmmm.....)  One of the things that really made a difference for me in this book was Sarah's sense of humor and wit.  I LOVE the quips between characters.  Two of my favorites -

Page 61
"Because I am a sweet and caring individual who is truly concerned about your welfare"
- Nick speaking to Jamie

Page 82
"Can't spell 'demon' without 'emo'.
- Nick

I love the sarcastic bits!  What a hoot!  This book seems to center around Mae and how she sees the situation unfold.  Her character really blooms but  I had to ask myself - When did she become the kissing queen? I won't elaborate much further but she sure seemed to be liplocked a lot in this book...so many boys, so little time....

My favorite part of the entire series is the Goblin Market.  Want to hear a neat tidbit?  I was reading an interview from another blog with Sarah Rees Brennan and she said that the idea of the Goblin Market came from a poem by Christina Rosetti.  One of my favorite poets!  Cool!  I love how the market seems like a place to get away and where anything and everything is possible if you believe it to be.

Lastly, I would like to talk about the ending.  Right when you think you know what is going on, Ms. Rees Brennan twists it and turns it into something completely different!  Fantastic!  I love it when a book can take me on an adventure like this!

I don't recommend reading the Demon's Covenant before tackling the Demon's Lexicon first.  The story is a bit too complicated to jump right in but I definitely recommend this series.  It's a keeper!  Tweet tweet Sarah Rees Brennen, I'm lovin' your work!


No comments:

Post a Comment