Sunday, January 22, 2012

Everneath - Brodi Ashton


Published: January 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 384
Copy Provided by: NetGalley
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

Review:
I was happy to have the chance to review this before its publication thanks to the good folks at NetGalley.  I was drawn to the cover as soon as it started making its appearance in some of the blogs I follow.  At first I thought - uh, here we go...another Persephone re-telling...but I REALLY enjoyed this one. 

Ms. Ashton hooked me from the beginning.  I have to admit that I was kinda crushing on Cole a little bit but Jack did win me over in the end.  (I think its the dark, sultry good-looking man candy that sucks me in.)  Jack was persistent and constant in his attention to Nikki.  He didn't push her but was always there when she was ready to talk.  I LOVED that about him.  How come all men can't be that way?  For me, this story wasn't just a Persephone re-telling.  Brodi Ashton added a new and interesting spin to this myth in the form of the "feed".  Nikki surviving the feed and the story behind it added another layer of depth to Everneath.

I have to admit that I blazed through the last 50 pages of so because it was so exciting!  I know I'm jumping around quite a bit in this review but Everneath was just a winner for me.  It was also a nice surprise to see that the author explored other avenues to ensure that the Persephone myth was more complex and unique than other stories.  I feel like there is a trend in Greek myths right now....anyone else feeling that way? 

Looking forward to the second book in the series!  Here's the book trailer -

No comments:

Post a Comment