Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Calling by Kelley Armstrong


Published: April 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 326
Copy Provided by: Bought
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Maya and her friends--all of whom have supernatural powers--have been kidnapped after fleeing from a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set, and after a terrifying helicopter crash they find themselves pursued by evildoers in the Vancouver Island wilderness.

Review:

So as part of my new plan to remember series, I've been trying to either re-read a series just before the newest title comes out or read it for the first time just prior to the next release.    I am finding that the story is so much more enjoyable for me.  I don't have trouble remember what had happened in the last book and the momentum doesn't have time to fade.

That was my strategy with The Calling.  I just finished the Gathering the week or two before The Calling was released and it was fresh in my mind.  The characters feel more tangible and identifiable.  One of the things about being a blogger is that you read SO MANY books that sometimes they start to cross-over if left too long between readings. 

So back to the book.  I find this series so much more exciting than The Darkest Powers trilogy.  They are completely different but of course linked by the Edison Group.  From the time you open this book, it is non-stop action.  Kelley does not disappoint and I had to force myself to put the book down in order to get some sleep.  Need a preview?  You can actually read the first seven chapters through Browse Inside by HarperCollins.  I have to warn you though, once you start, you'll have to run out to purchase the book!!

Its hard to discuss this title without giving much away.  If you follow us, you probably know that I don't give many titles a 5/5 star rating on Goodreads but this series scored for me.  I found it to be unputdownable.  I'm tempted to loan it to my friend's daughter but I'm afraid she won't give it back!!

**possible spoiler if you haven't read The Gathering **
All the while you will be thinking to yourself - where's Rafe?  Is he really dead?  They have to bring him back...is he in the next chapter?  He can't be dead...

Ms. Armstrong packed a punch with the second book and developed the characters so we start to see more background and history.  Personally, I'd like to see Daniel and Maya get together.  They seem to go together like peanut butter and chocolate.  The whole development of his ability still seems fuzzy.  I'd like to see how it comes together better in The Rising.
**spoiler finished**

My favourite quote 
“I'd always thought of myself as an open-minded person. I had no patience with anyone who put down other kids because of their race, religion, or sexuality. But that's just one kind of open-mindedness. There's another kind, too, the kind that's willing to see people for who they really are and admit when you were wrong about them. That's the part I still need to work on.” 

Are you like me and hooked on Darkness Rising?  You can follow Kelley on her blog.  She often has extended chapters or different POV chapters as added extras for her readers.  Talk about being dedicated to your craft and your audience!  I have to say, I really admire Ms. Armstrong.  She writes anthologies, a YA series and an adult series.  Plus, this woman travels across North America year round to meet her fans. If you haven't met one of our favourite Canadian authors, you really should try to get out and meet her at one of her signings/readings.  She's fabuloso. Oh, and a Canadian fabuloso at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment