Thursday, October 11, 2012

Possess by Gretchen McNeil

 
Published: August 2011
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Pages: 379
Copy Provided by: Bought
Summary: Goodreads
 
Summary:
Rule #1: Do not show fear.
Rule #2: Do not show pity.
Rule #3: Do not engage.
Rule #4: Do not let your guard down.
Rule #5: They lie.

Fifteen-year-old Bridget Liu just wants to be left alone: by her mom, by the cute son of a local police sergeant, and by the eerie voices she can suddenly and inexplicably hear. Unfortunately for Bridget, it turns out the voices are demons – and Bridget has the rare ability to banish them back to whatever hell they came from.

Terrified to tell people about her new power, Bridget confides in a local priest who enlists her help in increasingly dangerous cases of demonic possession. But just as she is starting to come to terms with her new power, Bridget receives a startling message from one of the demons. Now Bridget must unlock the secret to the demons' plan before someone close to her winds up dead – or worse, the human vessel of a demon king.
 
Review:
October seems to be THE month for me and creepy books.  I took another reprive from Steampunk and Paranormal to check into something scary.  This one is NOT for younger readers.  The content is definitely geared more towards an older crowd.  If you liked watching the Exorcist, here is the YA version of the movie.  Possess has been on my TBR list for over a year now and I happened to stumble upon a sample while skimming Google Books with my phone.  I was HOOKED and had to purchase it after reading the first few chapters!  Prepared to be freaked out by this novel.  It was like reading a suspenseful horror movie. 
 
One of the things that I did notice in the book was the female protagonist, Bridget is 1/2 Asian.  Generally I do not find many titles with ethnic characters and she did touch upon her heritage only slightly during the novel.  I think that imagining her exotic mixed look to go with her supernatural abilities was suitable and made her stand out in my mind.  McNeil kept a steady pace with Possess and had me reading with the lights on for a few nights.  I enjoyed the storyline and I enjoyed Possess so much that I'll be picking up Ten (Gretchen's newest title) today.
 
I would recommend this to fans of the Anna series by Kendare Blake (Which by the way was fantastic!  Keep your eyes peeled for my review of Girl of Nightmares and a giveaway!!)  It would also be a great remmended read for someone who wants to get into the Halloween mood or for a bookclub.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment