Thursday, July 18, 2013

White Trash Beautiful by Teresa Mummert

 
Published: July 9th, 2013
Publisher: Gallery books
Pages: 240
Copy: Publisher via Netgalley
Summary: Goodreads


A word-of-mouth bestseller that’s captivating readers with its honesty, grit, and headstrong heroine, White Trash Beautiful is a story for anyone who has ever felt trapped in life, cheated by love—and longed for something more . . .

Cass Daniels isn’t waiting for her knight in shining armor. She knows that girls like her don’t get a happily ever after. Not if you live in a trailer with your mom, work at a greasy spoon diner, and get leered at by old men. Maybe that’s why she puts up with Jackson—her poor excuse for a boyfriend, who treats her like dirt. Cass has learned to accept her lot in life. That is, until he walks into her diner. . . .

His name is Tucker White, and he’s different from any man Cass has ever known. Tall, tattooed, and bad-ass gorgeous, he’s the lead singer of the rock band Damaged. From the moment they meet, Tucker sees something in Cass he just can’t shake. Something beautiful. Something haunted. Something special. And he’s determined to find out what it is—if only he can get her to open up and let him in. . . .


Unfortunately, White Trash Beautiful did not captivate me at all.  I personally found it trite, predictable and boring.  BUT, I am willing to admit that the reason is not because the book or the writing is bad.  It's because I have finally accepted that I just don't really like any books in this genre.  I'm finding them all trite, predictable and boring. 

 I had a hard time relating to Cass because I absolutely could not understand why anyone would stay with a deadbeat like her 'boyfriend' Jax.  Leave him!  No-one deserves that kind of treatment, and it just makes me angry to read about it.  Tucker was a nice guy, who had been able to follow his dreams, and maybe there really are guys out there who are as much of a white knight as he was, I don't know, but here, he just seemed short sighted.  I couldn't accept that he really believed Cass would walk away with him. .

However, while I personally did not care for the book, I do acknowledge that there are hundreds, in fact probably thousands, out there in book land who absolutely love this kind of novel.  Will I recommend White Trash Beautiful - yes I probably will - I can think of at least half a dozen regulars at work who would adore this book and I will happily place it in their hands. 

By the way,  I apologise to Ms. Mummert for using her title  to illustrate my dislike for New Adult/contemporary romance in general.  Now I'm off to find a nice juicy fantasy that I can lose myself in.

2 comments:

  1. Sad you didn't like it, the synopsis sounds so interesting though.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this sounds like a book in my taste! I recently discoverd the world of contemporary romance and new adult and im loving it =) Before I was only reading YA paranormal romance books.
    Love your blog!
    Old follower =)
    //Sandra @Rather barefoot than bookless

    ReplyDelete