Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Fragments by Dan Wells



Published: February 26th, 2013
Publisher: Balzer and Bray
Pages: 576
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Author Dan Wells is back with the sequel to the sci-fi blockbuster Partials, which Pittacus Lore called a "thrilling sci-fi adrenaline rush, with one of the most compelling and frightening visions of Earth's future I've seen yet."

After discovering the cure for RM, Kira Walker sets off on a terrifying journey into the ruins of postapocalyptic America and the darkest desires of her heart in order to uncover the means—and a reason—for humanity's survival.

Dan Wells extends his richly imagined, gritty world and introduces new memorable characters in this second installment in the Partials Sequence.


'Fragments' is the second book in the Partials sequence, which for some reason I missed when it came out last year.  When I noticed that the third book 'Ruins' was due out in March I figured I'd best get my running shoes on and catch up.  And Oh, it was such fun.  Now as you can see from the page count, 'Fragments' is not for the faint at heart.  It is a long book, that requires a fair time commitment, but it is well worth it. 

The whole premise behind the Partials strikes a chord of fear in my heart.  Genetic manipulation is something that we are starting to take for granted - certainly when it comes to our food sources anyway - and it really doesn't seem that far fetched to be 'producing' alternate humans.  As this story progresses and we begin to realise just exactly how much manipulation is going on, I could feel my pulse increase and I started to feel quite uncomfortable.  I guess it seems all too plausible for me.

Kira has gone off on her own into the ruins, Samm is god knows where.  Marcus is on the run and Haru is trying to keep the rest of civilization alive.  Every new revelation leads to more and more questions and the solutions seem farther and farther away.  I loved the uncertainty of everything in this book.  Partials are fighting humans, are fighting partials, are fighting other partials, are fighting guerilla's and so on and so forth.  Everyone is trying to find answers and yet no-one seems to be finding anything. 

I really enjoyed Fragments.  Time is slipping away for everyone and it almost felt like they were under a stop watch.  What is going to happen in 8 months?  Are the partials going to be saved or not? Is there going to be a cure for humanity or is it really going to be the end for everyone?

All I can say is thank goodness I have Ruins set up and ready to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment