Saturday, October 25, 2014

Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini



Published: September 2, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 374
Copy: Edelweiss
Summary: Goodreads

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.

What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected


Ms Angelini's Awakening trilogy is near the top of my favourites list, so I have been waiting with bated breath for this new title to come into my library.  Happily, with only a couple of minor exceptions I was not disappointed in Trial by Fire.  Ms. A's world building is exemplary and she makes it very easy for readers to become completely entranced by her worlds.

The main protagonist in Trial by Fire, Lily, is transported from her own world to and alternate universe by another, crueler version of herself and she has to navigate her way through this strange, yet strangely familiar world.  She is helped/hindered along the way by Rowan, Tristan and Gideon, two of whom she recognizes from her own world.  The reader knows with a certainty that there is going to be a romance here, but it does take a little while to sort out with whom.

Now I have to add here that I was a little put off by the language in this new world.  Not that it was bad, but that it was idiomatically the same as ours.  Somehow, I had a hard time reading (hearing in my mind) Rowan and Tristan saying things like 'yeah', 'OK', 'dad' etc.  I realize this is probably just me nitpicking, but I found it very disconcerting for the first half of the book.  However, I didn't notice it bothering me as much by the end of the book.  

There is a lot of excitement throughout the entire bok and this is enhanced by the willstones/mindspeak aspect.  BTW, 'willstones' enhance and store a persons natural magical abilities and 'mindspeak' is basically telepathy among those who are claimed through their stones - read Lily. Sorry you have to read it yourself to find out more.

Trial by fire is a fast-paced, exciting and romantic and will have you reading 'til long after dark.  I'm sure fans of Ms Angelini will not be disappointed. A great start to a new trilogy.

4 comments:

  1. so the alternate world talks like us? Or it is just them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was just them. It was a little strange really, but as I mentioned I got used to it.

      Delete
  2. Nitpickings aside. Another great review to the book.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I I need to get my hands on a copy of this, I want to read it so bad! I love fantasy and I've seen really positive reviews on this one. I just really want to read it and experience the world.
    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete