Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Let's Hear it for the Boys - The Prey by Tom Isbell


Published: January 20th, 2014
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 416
Copy: Edelweiss
Summary: Goodreads

A hot debut trilogy and a riveting story of survival, courage, and romance in a future where creating a master civilization is the only thing prized, no matter the method. After the Omega (the end of the end), 16 year old guys known as LTs discover their overseers are raising them not to be soldiers (lieutenants) as promised, but to be sold as bait because of their Less Than status and hunted for sport. They escape and join forces with a girls’ camp, the Sisters, who have been imprisoned and experimented on for the "good of the Republic," by a government eager to use twins in their dark research. In their plight for freedom, these heroes must find the best in themselves to fight against the worst in their enemies.

Review

This is going to be a difficult one for me to review.  It was one of the ones I finished, but couldn't really find anything about it that stood out for me.  The premise is ok - Kids in camps being trained for, something.  Suspicion that things are not as simple as they seem.  Main characters find out what is really happening and have some rough times trying to get out of camps.

In this case I felt the lack of some back story.  I was never really sure what had happened to get to this point and I never really connected with the characters.  In all honesty other than some rather impetuous moves I don't think there was anything that I truly disliked, but 2 weeks after reading, I'm having trouble remembering any details of the story.

Having said this, I can see the appeal of The Prey for younger readers who are fans of stories of the  'after the apocalypse' type.  I know of a couple of my kids at work who will enjoy the story, so I will be recommending it, but I won't personally be continuing with this series.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this one, but I agree I wanted to know more of the back story. How did things end up like this? But I enjoyed the evil in this book the most. Also didn't care for the ending. I'm hoping to understand more in future books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally keeping this on the fence. Thanks for the review.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete