Thursday, June 15, 2017

Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn


Published: January 2016
Publisher: St Martin's Griffin
Pages: 320
Copy Provided by: Netgalley
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Mercedes Ayres has an open-door policy when it comes to her bedroom, but only if the guy fulfills a specific criteria: he has to be a virgin. Mercedes lets the boys get their awkward, fumbling first times over with, and all she asks in return is that they give their girlfriends the perfect first time- the kind Mercedes never had herself.

Keeping what goes on in her bedroom a secret has been easy- so far. Her absentee mother isn’t home nearly enough to know about Mercedes’ extracurricular activities, and her uber-religious best friend, Angela, won’t even say the word “sex” until she gets married. But Mercedes doesn’t bank on Angela’s boyfriend finding out about her services and wanting a turn- or on Zach, who likes her for who she is instead of what she can do in bed.

When Mercedes’ perfect system falls apart, she has to find a way to salvage her reputation and figure out where her heart really belongs in the process. Funny, smart, and true-to-life, FIRSTS is a one-of-a-kind young adult novel about growing up.
 

Review:
I think a lot of people experiment with sex when they're younger, before they really know themselves. Mercedes was no different and she legitimately (in an odd sort of way) believes she is helping these virgins prepare for their first time with their girlfriends by giving them experience and guidance.   As the story progressed, it was almost uncomfortable to see this trainwreck happen in slow motion.  I felt myself saying "- NOOOOOOO...." in a very exaggerated frame by frame sequence.

I really liked Charlie in the beginning but he quickly turned into a complete douchebag. TOTAL douchebag.  I would have liked to learn more and more about Angela though.  Mercedes and Angela's relationship is discussed but I didn't feel like they connected as well as her and Faye.  



This was a first read for me to read a title by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn.  But I think I would read more. She had a very easy-going writing style and I think she captured the characters well.  I felt that as a reader, I could identify with them and their situations.  I especially liked Faye.  She was everything Mercedes needed and more. She seemed very REAL and sure of herself.  She applied her own experience in life to show Mercedes that no one is perfect and we just need to accept one another for who we are and the mistakes we make.  She seemed to be the kind of friend that everyone is looking for.  If you have the chance, I highly recommend this book!

- Christinabean

No comments:

Post a Comment