Friday, June 16, 2017

Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White


Published: Sept 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 278
Copy Provided by: Bought
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

Jessamin has been an outcast since she moved from her island home of Melei to the dreary country of Albion. Everything changes when she meets Finn, a gorgeous, enigmatic young lord who introduces her to the secret world of Albion’s nobility, a world that has everything Jessamin doesn’t—power, money, status…and magic. But Finn has secrets of his own, dangerous secrets that the vicious Lord Downpike will do anything to possess. Unless Jessamin, armed only with her wits and her determination, can stop him.

Review:

This was a shorter title than I expected and very refreshing from the series that I have been reading lately.  As a stand-alone, I quite enjoyed it.  Jessamin is a strong woman who attracts a very unusual suitor. She is very focused on her studies yet is drawn into a curious situation in a magical society she did not even know existed.

It felt a little bit like Downton Abbey meets Harry Potter to me.  Weird combo, eh? 

In true Kiersten fashion, she brings a bit of humor to Jessamin's rather focused life.  I love the correspondence letters between Jessamine and her mother as she tries to let her mother know that all things are well while she fends for herself.  I especially appreciate the interpretative parts that Jessamine DOESN'T write, but commentates in her head.

Kiersten White is one of my favourite authors.  I fell in love with her Paranormalcy series. In fact, Evie is one of my favourite characters in a book series (Jace and Clary have a category all on their own).  She always brings her own humor to her books (which I LOVE).  A little bit of snark and a whole lot of sarcasm to make you laugh out loud.  Another thing that I admire about this writer is her ability to diversify her topics and stories.  She also has series and stand alone titles.  Give Illusions of Fate a try if you are looking for a standalone.  If you are looking for a longer series, start with Paranormalcy.  You might fall in love with her books as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment